Sunday, April 1, 2012

Sugar for a Cause



Mmmmmmm. Imagine walking into a room filled with the powerful scent of sugar. The soundtrack to "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" playing in the background. Small children running around as their parents fill plates piled high with sweet treats. Money is flowing into a homemade shoebox to support those affected by MS.
Welcome to the first annual Sugar for a Cause MS Fundraiser! 

The event was a great success thanks to over 35 of my dearest friends and family who attended. Thanks to my dad and Karen who provided their community clubhouse so we could have a sugar induced shakedown.
We raise over $600 for the National MS society which provides assistance to those with MS for:
  • Local grants towards wellness-related expenses (cooling devices, physical therapy etc.)
  • Scholarships for those with MS or who have a parent with MS
  • Research towards finding a cure
Right now my total fundraising amount for "Christina's Crew" is:
$2210.00 + $600 = $2810.00
This puts me as the #1 individual and team fundraiser for the Boise area!
Unreal, amazing, I'm blown away, can't believe the love and support I have received to make a difference
I was inspired to do this event because I felt I could really up my fundraising goal this year to $2000 and I love desserts! A kind and generous friend of mine makes the most amazing cakes and sweets and is always willing to share them with us. I thought about what joy the sweets bring and instead of asking her to make a dozen cakes I would suggest every make their own! Throw in the competition factor and the promise of sharing all the recipes and people are ready to commit to a great cause.

Here is the "sugar" I brought

The table is filling up!

Rebecca (mother of adorable 5 mo. old twin girls) is telling Kathleen (due in May) and April (due in June) how much easier it is to have two babies at a time instead of one.

Dad and Karen keeping tabs on Anderson. Or maybe telling him how to start a fire.

Mom and Larry

Apple cake, Special K and golden graham bars

Caramel bars and almond tort

Chocolate cake and pie (made with a secret ingredient!)
Peppermint Frango

Orangesicle pie and mocha chocolate cake

Oreo cupcakes

Pistachio cake

I'm getting full just looking at the pictures again. It was fabulous. I think we will have to make it an annual event. There were some things I did learn:
  • Start earlier in the evening
  • Bring more beer for the dads
  • The playdoh table was the best idea for the kids
  • Encourage those who practice lent not to choose desserts
  • Don't eat dinner before
The quote of the evening does go to Tyler LaDouceur who said: "The next fundraiser after this will be for diabetes." Oops. Let's only try to solve one problem at a time.

Drum roll for the winners.....
Orange pie and Special K bars tied for1st
Caramel bars and Almond tort tied for 2nd
Seriously, they were all winners.

No comments: